Thursday, January 26, 2012

yawn.

It's 8:30 am, and I've already been awake for five hours. FIVE. How does that make you feel? It makes me feel like I need another cup of coffee.


Jacob is getting molars, and if I ever said I understood what a teething baby was like, you should've slapped me, because frankly, I had no idea. He jumps between his normal happy-go-lucky self, to completely inconsolable, to sheer exhaustion from dealing with the discomfort.

And I know it's worse for him than it is for me, but I'm starting to feel like a walking zombie. I'm not a fan of complaining about lack of sleep because I chose to become a parent, and sleep deprivation was in the fine print. But commiserate with me for just a sec. I'm tired.

So I'm looking for advice, helpful hints and anything else you can throw my way. What are your favourite teething tactics and remedies?

4 comments:

  1. I guess we dodged that bullet, but from memory our little guy didn't have that much trouble with his molars. I guess chewing toys don't help ... Baby Tylenol?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! That sounds terrible. I am TOTALLY feeling for you right now! I take it Baby Tylenol/Advil is not cutting it? I never found either very effective, unfortunately. What happens if you let him cry it out? Does he just ... not stop?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your thoughts :) We have used baby Tylenol and Advil, and it works somewhat, but we're trying to limit how much we're giving him. This morning he was feeling OK, just ... awake. When he's in a lot of pain, one of those options does seem to take the edge off.

    We tried and tried to let him settle himself this morning, but he wouldn't stop calling out for us/crying ... he knew he'd woken us up and there was no way he was passing up the chance for some extra play time. C'est la vie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We always had the kids chew on baby frozen peas. They're good for them and the coldness feels good against their gums and keeps them busy. Easy to pop in a container if you're going somewhere. My 8 year old daughter still likes to eat them! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete