Wednesday, August 3, 2011

vacation from my vacation

Am I the only one who has a love-hate relationship with vacation?

I anticipate time off for weeks, sometimes months, in advance. Planning, organizing, packing. As the time approaches, I'm filled with a mixture of excitement and apprehension ... What do I need to remember? What have I already forgotten? Then, after hours in the car, I fall into that magical bubble of family, swimming, smores, and sunbathing. Then, when it's time to drive home, I'm filled again with the same mix of stress, but in reverse. Decompressing, unpacking, cleaning and regaining some semblance of routine.

Having a baby adds a unique element to the situation. I anticipate time with family in a different way -- I was thrilled to introduce Jacob to my fun relatives. I worked to make sure conditions are perfect -- that Jacob had what he needs to be in the best mood possible for being passed around by people he still (somewhat) considers strangers. And he didn't disappoint. Despite some obvious teething discomfort, Jacob was cheerful and fun the whole time we were away. Love.

But in the end, summer vacation is always wonderful. Each year, I'm sad to leave my family and return to real life. Thanks to all of you who helped make our whirlwind vacay pretty great. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment