Sunday, April 17, 2011

vegan for a week: day 3

I think I'm starting to get the hang of this. Nearly half-way through the week and my food choices are coming more naturally to me.

Thanks so much to all of you who sent along recipe suggestions! Here's one I tried today and I definitely recommend it for your tables.

Vegan Blueberry Pancakes

2 cups flour (I used one cup white and one cup whole wheat)
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp oil
2 cups soymilk
1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
*I also added a tsp. of vanilla extract and a couple Tbsp. of wheat germ.

Mix the dry stuff. Mix the wet stuff. Combine. Grill 'em.

These were delish and hearty. Husband and lovely friend A couldn't tell the difference between these and the pancakes I usually make with cow's milk and eggs.

Choosing to eat vegan for a week has made me really think hard about every little thing I put in my mouth. Revelation: for someone who loves to cook and bake, I rely on prepared foods/snacks/ingredients way too much. I can appreciate the flavours of a salad much more with a simple drizzle of balsamic vinegar mixed with olive oil instead of a rich, sugary, bottled dressing. Instead of buying pasta sauce that already has all kinds added flavours (many of which may be artificial), it's so easy to combine ingredients for a from-scratch version.

Instead of opting for a pre-packaged snack today, I mixed up some simple ingredients for a fresh-tasting treat of my own — raisins, dried apricots, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds and almonds.


I also enjoyed some coffee with soy milk, tortilla chips and guacamole, a banana and a sliced apple dipped in peanut butter today.

OK, it's confession time. My supper was not vegan. Not even close. It was vegetarian, but I always eat vegetarian. We had pre-planned to meet another family for dinner at a restaurant tonight. If you eat a veg diet of either sort, you know how hard it is to eat healthy in most restaurants. After a careful review of the menu, I realized my only option would be a garden salad, and as a nursing mother I need more sustenance.

In recent years, many restaurants have started offering more vegetarian options, but I can't imagine eating out as a full-time vegan — it would be mega frustrating. Honestly, I'm disappointed that I had to "cheat" tonight, but I realize that it's pretty hard to quit something cold-tofurkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment