Thursday, March 10, 2011

spring has sprung

OK, not technically, but the first day of spring is less than two weeks away (hooray!) and around here, the snow is nearly all melted. Ahhhhhh <-- big sigh of relief. I can't wait to get the stroller back out on the clear sidewalks so Baby J can soak up the fresh air and I can walk off those last pesky post-baby pounds.

And of course, with spring comes the always exciting spring cleaning list! YAY! Task #1: Get Husband as excited about the spring cleaning list as I am.

Here's what needs to be done between now and April 1 — my self-imposed deadline.

1) Clean windows inside and out. Living in main-floor apartment, I'm realizing that it doesn't take much to dirty up the windows. On the outside, dust and dirt from the street create a film over the glass, and inside the cats' paws and noses leave undesirable streaks. We usually use Windex, but I think I'll research some DIY, natural alternatives. Thoughts?

2) Wipe down walls. Not every wall, but the problem spots for sure, which includes baseboards and trim around doors. For this, I'll use my Mum's trick: dishwasher soap. Mixed with hot water, it's the perfect solution for cleaning stubborn smudges.

3) Scour both bathrooms. We're very guilty of giving our bathrooms a surface wipe once a week or so. This doesn't cut it for the long-term. Soap scum, be gone.

4) Deep clean the kitchen. This is something I do pretty much seasonally. I organize the insides of the cabinets, wash down the cupboard doors, take the Magic Eraser to any stains on the countertops, and clean out the fridge and freezer. It's a big job, but oh so satisfying when it's done.

5) Flip all mattresses and change bedding. To help keep our beds in their best shape, I like to flip them once a year or so, just for good measure. As the weather gets warmer, it'll also be time to put lighter blankets on the beds.

1 comment: