Sunday, February 27, 2011

what goes around

Do you believe in karma? Here's what I mean ...

The other day I was waiting in line at a store with my mum and a friend, and realized I forgot something so I stepped out of line, grabbed what I needed and then returned to the people I was with. A few minutes later, as we reached the cashier, the woman behind me decided to make a scene, raising her voice and calling me names for having left the line and returned to my place. In her opinion, leaving the line meant I did not have the right to return to my place with my party, but that I should've gone to the back of the line. It was thoroughly embarrassing; for a few moments of her rant in my face, I had no idea what I had done wrong. Meanwhile, my mum quickly paid for my items along with her own and we exited the store without humouring this woman or her outburst. Then, as we started to walk away, the scene-maker dropped her cellphone and it busted into two pieces on the tile floor. Guess you could say she got what was coming to her.

I was in line at the grocery store recently, having a friendly conversation with a chatty cashier as I often do. Husband chuckles at the way I always talk to the check-out clerks, but usually I find that they look forward to nice conversation as they work. This woman was telling me all about her long day and I was commenting and laughing at her anecdotes. As she was ringing in my items, she scanned a couple things that didn't pop up in her computer, and her response? "For you, it's free!" she smiled as she dropped the items into my bag without missing a beat. Good luck? I think it's karma.

Regardless of who or what you believe in, or even if you believe at all, I think there's something to be said about the what-goes-around-comes-around phenomenon. Think of the golden rule — treat others the way you'd want to be treated. A simple concept, right? If we all believed that doing good deeds would bring goodness to ourselves, wouldn't we all be offering and reaping a lot more happiness?

1 comment: