Tuesday, January 25, 2011

try it tuesday



I've been inspired lately by friends Candace and Iris, who put their adventures in cookery out in the open on Facebook in photo albums referred to as the Domestic Diva series'. They bake and cook the most yummy looking comfort food, especially some local favourites.

I've never made bread before, and frankly, it always seemed like a lot of work for a product I was sure would be sad compared to my Mum and Grammie's versions (the following is Mum's choice recipe; next time, I'll try Grammie's).

The thing is, one of my 2011 to dos is to be more bold/less lazy in the kitchen, and the first recipe that came to mind is delicious Maritime brown bread. I've never been able to buy a loaf of brown bread that tastes as good as the real, homemade thing.


See how tattered and stained that recipe card is? That's a sign of a goodie. Not sure if Mum knew I stole this one out of her recipe box. Also not sure if she knows I took her Barbour cookbook ... sorry, Mum!

Brown Bread

2 cups rolled oats
2 cups boiling water
1 Tbsp. shortening
1 cup molasses
1 tsp. salt
1 yeast cake (1 Tbsp. dried yeast)
1/4 cup warm water
2 cups water
8 cups flour

Add two cups boiling water to rolled oats and shortening. Stir and let cool, then add molasses and salt. Let stand for one hour. Meanwhile, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Add this mixture to rolled oats after elapsed hour. Add two cups water and flour. Mix and knead for two minutes. Let rise until doubled in size. Punch down and divide into two or three greased loaf pans (I used one large loaf pan and also made a dozen rolls). Let rise again. Bake at 375F for 45 minutes to one hour.


To my surprise, it all rose up just as predicted on my worn-out little recipe card.


And here's the finished product, hot out of the oven and freshly brushed with butter:



Mmm ... so good!

What are your favourite childhood recipes?

4 comments:

  1. Good for you!!! I can almost smell it. :))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're in trouble little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cookbook is a CLASSIC! We make bread every Sunday now. I'm waiting for the day I get sick of it...it still hasn't happened ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE brown bread!! Thank you for sharing this! I'll try it for sure :)

    ReplyDelete