Friday, November 5, 2010

one day at a time



It's been seven weeks since Baby B came into our lives. It feels like a long time and a short time all at once. No amount of baby books could have prepared me for motherhood. Here are a few more things I've learned ...

There's never going to be a perfect time to have a baby. That is, until you have one, and he's perfect and you can't imagine your life without him. There were times during my pregnancy, as things changed with jobs, our car and home, that I wondered if the timing was right. The answer is yes. Guess what? You're never going to have enough money or the dream home or all of the answers. Trust your instincts; I'm glad we did.

It's really not the end of the world if there are dishes in the sink/dust on the shelves/unfolded laundry everywhere/unmade beds. No one's going to judge your mess. And if they do, show them the door.

There is something special about reading books to a little baby, even though he's too young to understand or really pay attention. Bonding with Jacob is probably my favourite thing about being a mother, especially now that he smiles and coos happily when I snuggle him.

Even if your son has filled his diaper with pee, he will some how muster a bit more to spray you with if you've just put on clean clothes. It must be some sort of baby rule or something.

White noise is like a miracle. Turning the radio to a static station and turning it up in the back seat works surprisingly well to soothe a cranky baby when you're just minutes from home.

Sleeping when your baby sleeps is a myth. I think what people mean to say do-everything-you-need-to-get-done when the baby sleeps. If I slept when the baby slept, my house would be indistinguishable under a pile of rubble and dirty diapers.

For more inspiration for new moms, read Katie Bower's post here.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE this picture. I'm laughing out loud...for real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a great mama!

    ReplyDelete