Tuesday, July 7, 2009

time for change


A while back, I read an article on Apartment Therapy about cheap ways to spruce up your apartment. The idea stuck out to me. We rent a fairly big, yet inexpensive apartment in an older building, so it's nice to find little projects to make the place seem more homey (until we can afford to buy our dream home). Here are the top two AT tips:
  1. Clean your home. 
  2. Get rid of something.
Even though we're fully into summer (despite the weather), I still feel the itch to spring clean. I completely gutted our walk-in storage closet the other day, so at least that's looking a little better.

We thought for a while that there might be a chance of moving in September, but now we think we'll be staying put and, that said, it's time to make some upgrades to make our old place feel new to us.

Annoying little thing #1: Chipping paint on cabinet doors. I don't know if it's noticeable to anyone else, but it's noticeable to me.
Solution: Get some of the original paint from the landlady and give them a fresh coat, along with some pretty new contact paper for the shelves.

Annoying little thing #2: Our second bedroom isn't really a second bedroom. It's a catch-all for anything that doesn't have a designated place (read: the place everything gets shoved when last-minute company drops by.)
Solution: Re-organize the space. Give it a purpose. Ditch any and all items that we don't use/forgot we owned.

Annoying little thing #3: I never fully embraced the bathroom colour. I'm still not sure I really like it. The girl at the paint counter screwed it up, I know it. 
Solution: Re-paint? Agh. That's not too appealing. 

Do you ever get the itch to make some changes? It happens to me all the time. 

2 comments:

  1. I ALWAYS want to change something in my apartment! I constantly declutter, but that's cause I definitely have an impulse-buy problem, so there is always lots of crap to get rid of. I actually am moving in the fall, so I'm itching to start packing and am ready for change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Advice. I watched an Oprah episode where they said to take all your kitchen utensile and put them in a box. Every time you use on keep it out of the box (put back in its kitchen home) then after a month all the items in the box get thrown out! If you dont use it w/in a month you dont need it. I think that is a GREAT way to clean up & make your home look better :)


    Stopping by from SITS to say hi & invite u to our Jewelry Giveaway. We are a small charity made up of many men/women/kids who send cards to those battling cancer.

    Get in on our Giveaway and maybe even join our program:)We have many ways people can be involved... it's such a fun project & helps others at the same time...can't get better than that.

    www.spiritjump.org

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete